Sunday, July 26, 2009

Mechacon Shogi Panel

Hey everyone. Mechacon ended tonight, and my panel was last night. It went much better than I was expecting, and everyone who came very much enjoyed the game.

My panel was at 5:00 pm, but we started a little early since the Igo panel ended about 20 minutes early. I passed out quick reference sheets that contained the basic rules and piece movements for shogi, as well as a page of online resources to find into about the game. (You can find a copy of that reference sheet here.) I made 11 copies, but to my surprise, that wasn't enough - there were almost 20 people at the panel! It was a much larger number than I was anticipating.

After explaining a quick history of the game, I explained the rules, and after answering everyone's questions, we got to playing. There were 3 games going at the same time, and those that weren't playing studied the rules and watched (and commented) on the games being played. If I had had more than an hour I think everyone could have gotten a chance to play, but to those who didn't, I gave them my PlayOK username so that I can play them online.

Overall, everyone who showed up loved the game, and I'm excited about possibly hosting another shogi panel at next year's Mechacon.

Here are some pictures from the panel:



Two of the players contemplating their moves.


One of the players pictured above writes notes on his reference sheet.


Two more players contemplating their moves, with one more commenting on the game.


This is me explaining to my opponent the basics of opening strategy.


My opponent finishing his move P-3d.

In addition to this, yesterday I got my hands on Ultimate Board Game Collection for PSP, and I will make a post about its shogi game tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment